Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Rejuvenation of NSP

Feliz Cinco De Mayo! I'm hitting you up with tons of blogs it seems & I'm sure a few of you will be saying 'Shut the hell up Nick.' To that I say:


I'm like that ooowee
You're fiendin' to blaze up
And taste me
Got flavor like ice cream,
Cause I'm that CHICO you like
And you know you need this man
And you know I got this man
Gonna be your everything
I'm that CHICO you like


Since Mariah has claimed she's that CHICK, I had to remix it for sure. Being that I've been remixing & revisiting tons of things in life these days let me take a moment to dish about my return to Arriba Ariba. It's a Mexican restaurant & it's actually one of my favorite places to go. Not for the food because oddly enough, I'm not a fan of Mexican food. When I go I always order the same thing & then I turn it into the blandest thing ever. Chicken Quesadilla but I make sure they ONLY put in chicken & cheese. Yes, I know...... I am a picky bitch but at least I put it out there right at the beginning. Anyhow, the point is I finally made my return to this place 2 Friday's ago. The reason why I would not go was because I said for months now that my return to drinking would be celebrated with one of their Mama Margarita's. I missed a bday soiree there & PLENTY of other get togethers as well but honestly I was so glad I had the company I had when I made my return. Larry, who hadn't had a drink in 6 months as well, was first on the list. He had decided way back in October that he would stop & not have another until I was A OK. I didn't ask this of him & never in a million years would I ask anyone to do it. But it must be said, it was nice to know that I could count on him when I was the only sober one in the room. Larry is & remains a best friend to the end. Vadim, in the midst of all my drama, changed his life as well. He has embarked on his journey as a Vegan & friend to all elephants & all other animals. He knows that I could never be a Vegan being that I am self described pick pus & if I gave up meat I would starve to death. BUT, I do say kudos to him that he has found a cause. More people should do the same as in finding a cause but, I'll keep my voice off the soap box. Anyhow, I was completely thrilled to have them share my first drink with me & I was just as thrilled to have Scott show up. He was terribly late, but bless his heart..... at least he always trys. He reminds me of my mom in the fact that they're both Libra's & both eternally late. Lastly, my girl Tasia also managed to come to witness my sips of said margarita. So see Taisa, I remembered & here it is in blog form. I LOVE TASIA. This must also be said, the taste of that Margarita was better then I ever remembered it to be. At first my body was like what is this?! What is this odd but somehow familiar feeling. Then it was like slipping into your skinny jeans. Ahhhhh! I also have to say that my tolerance is nowhere near what it was. A few sips & I was already getting giddy. At least from here on out I'll be a cheap drunk. Being that I have decided to try to stick to the plan of drinking rarely, let's hope I remain a cheap drunk. Fun & good times was had by all & I had had just enough to stay giddy & fun but also make sure I was going to remember everything. The next morning though found me with a slight headache & I fully blame the tequila & it also had me saying that I didn't miss that feeling at all. That being said, as I sit here at work I sip on a small cup of Sangria. My work peeps are being festive & now that I can actually join in on their festiveness it's definitely nice.

The next topic of hand is my beloved Mariah. I said that she would be one of my next diva's & as any one who knows me KNOWS I love me some her. The morning of my first drink was spent at Good Morning America to see her perform. The lambs were out in full force. In case you don't know that's what she calls her fans. There were Ghetto Lambs, Gay Lambs, Girly Girl Lambs & even some Granny Lambs. Getting them all together was a lil nuts. Especially when I was trying to see past Granny Lambs sign saying that they were there from so & so Baptist Church in Texas. Before I knew it a girl named Starkeisha standing next to me goes, "Oooo If they don't put those signs the fuck down Ima hunt them down." All technical difficulties aside, Mariah was on fire & I live for her telling her back up singer to stop singing her part. Same thing happened on Idol during Bye Bye. I was yelling at the tv screen for that bitch to shut up my damn self. But, that's just how my love for Mimi runs. I have been there for it all. A fan from the beginning. My younger sister's Anna's middle name is Mariah. My mom said that it was a family name but I also KNOW I helped put that name in her head. My sister was born in Feb 93 & I was playing the hell out of some Make It Happen & all the other jams from that time.

'Vision of Love' came out in the summer of 90 & I was about to turn 12 & waiting for 7th grade. I distinctly remember reading about how she was of mixed race & that really hitting me at my core. People kept being like is she white or is she black & I couldn't help but relate. My dad was Mexican & my mom is Irish but that fact never occurred to me that it should be a big deal. It wasn't until I heard other kids in school say things & off the cuff remarks. It was only then that I realized with some people it was a big ordeal. A friend of mine was half black & half white & kids would taunt her all the time. I remember her saying, "Why does no one do this to you? You're mixed too." Apparently it was because I looked like any other regular white kid. Also, I didn't grow up with my dad's family & I only knew my mom's side. My mom had taught me spanish & I was apparently bilingual until I came home from school one day at the age of 5. She went to talk to me in spanish & I said that I only wanted to speak english since that's what my friends talked. I don't remember this & even now my Spanish is VERY limited. But don't worry, it's on that big to do list I have created for myself in 08. To make a long story short, I remember thinking that if Mariah could go & do something major in life then that was a true inspiration to all the other mixed kids like myself.


The debut album came out in 1990 & blew everyone away. I can still listen to every track because they are seriously that good. It had something for everyone. I would hear it on all stations & it also has the only song where you'll hear her doing a lil rapping. A very small hint of the real kind of music that she truthfully was down with. It sold 9 million in the states & each single went to #1. A feat that hasn't been matched by any debut artist since. Christina came close & so did Fergie but so far can't no one do it like MC.

1. Vision of Love #1 Pop/R&B #9 UK
2. Love Takes Time #1 Pop/ R&B #37 UK
3. Someday #1 US #3 Pop R&B #38 UK
4. I Don't Wanna Cry #1 Pop #2 R&B
5. There's Got To Be A Way #54 UK

In the fall of '91, Emotions popped out rather quickly. The album wasn't as huge as the debut but still sold 4 million. A number that doesn't even happen these days & if it does it's rare. The debut single went to #1 as well & further solidified her status in the record books as a debut artist with the most #1 singles in a row.

1. Emotions #1 Pop & R&B #17 UK
2. Can't Let Go #2 Pop & R&B #20 UK
3. Make It Happen #5 Pop #7 R&B #17 UK

MTV Unplugged was a hot commodity in the 90's & showed musicians at their best. Sony released this live album at the beginning of the summer in '92 & her cover of I'll Be There was huge! Originally, it wasn't going to be performed but a day or so before was done & before you know it another #1 was on her belt. The album sold 3 million & after the success 'If It's Over' was a planned single release outside of the states but it ended up not charting.

1. I'll Be There #1 Pop #11 R&B #2 UK

Music Box was released in the fall of '93 & became a monster hit. She was at #1 with Dreamlover for 8 weeks & the video showed her in pig tails & flannel. Apparently Granny Lambs love this Mariah. Ballads galore & the success of Hero & Without You were huge. The later became her first #1 in the UK. I have many a memory of walking into Wal-Mart & that song being played on major rotation. To this day we hear TONS of renditions on American Idol & even overseas there was some bitch who couldn't pronounce it properly & called it Ken Lee. Ok watch it peeps, just for the laugh. This album was the first to go Diamond by selling 10 million. After all the singles were released she did a cover with Luther Vandross that was a huge success as well. It was on his Duets album.

1. Dreamlover #1 Pop #2 R&B #9 UK
2. Hero #1 Pop #5 R&B #7 UK
3. Without You #3 Pop #1 UK
4. Never Forget You #7 R&B (b-side to Without You on the pop chart but as the a-side on R&B)
5. Anytime You Need A Friend #12 Pop #22 R&B #8 UK
6. Endless Love #2 Pop #7 R&B #3 UK

Christmas '94 brought the STILL huge seller Merry Christmas. Even now & at the most random times a dj will throw on the massive single & the crowd will go ape shit. I'm talking even in like July. Each year it's released in the UK & each yr it does major business. The single didn't get a proper commercial release so it was in-eligible to chart until years later. The album has sold 5 million copies so far & each year stays a consistent seller. All I Want... has a total of 3 videos for it but my fav has to be the 60's era version. Joy to The World was even remixed for clubs & charted at #17.

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You #2 UK/Australia/Japan #12 US Pop Airplay
finally charted in 2000 in the US at #83, re-released in the UK last Christmas & went to #4

Next came probably my most favorite album by her ever. It was a perfect mixture of everything. Pop, hints of where she was going & classic ballads. Daydream was released while I was in the hospital after having appendicitis. I was in some pain but turning on the tv to see her video for Fantasy completely made my day. In the US they only released 3 singles but each was huge! Fantasy was at #1 for 8 weeks & One Sweet Day holds the record for longest #1 single ever with 16 weeks. At my graduation, Wendy Harding & I sang this for our commencement ceremony. Looking back on this I wonder why, since no one had died. But, everyone in school knew we could sing so why not? Precious right? Meanwhile the other tracks were hits outside of the US & they got released & one of my favorite songs by her ever was released to the R&B stations complete with a remix. Still hot & I still love it. It sold 10 million copies as well.

1. Fantasy #1 Pop/R&B #4 UK
2. One Sweet Day #1 Pop #2 R&B #6 UK
3. Open Arms #4 UK
4. Always Be My Baby #1 Pop/R&B #3 UK
5. Underneath The Stars #69 R&B Airplay
6. Forever #9 US Pop Airplay

Around my 19th bday in 1997 the video for Honey dropped & to this day it's one of my favorite by her. This album Butterfly celebrated the new Mariah. The one who was all sexy & liberated. It had TONS of good singles & unfortunately Sony only released 2 of them commercially here in the states. I blame that on Tommy & his crazy anger. Either way the album still debuted at #1 & went on to sell 5 million copies.

1. Honey #1 Pop #2 R&B #3 UK
2. Butterfly #16 Pop Airplay #12 R&B Airplay #22 UK
3. The Roof released outside of the US but the video was aired on BET/MTV/VH1
4. Breakdown #52 Pop Airplay #13 R&B Airplay #38 Australia later released as the b-side to My All
5. My All #1 Pop #4 R&B/UK
6. Whenever You Call Live video released & airs on VH1

#1's was released in Nov '98 & celebrated the fact that she had achieved 13 #1's at the time. More then Madonna, Whitney or any other female singer. At the time I was working at a music store & we had a stand up of her which I ended up taking & kept it in my room. I seem to remember Shuley being afraid of it when the lights were out. She would think that it was a real person. Oh scaring Shuley is always fun & good times. There were new songs on it as well & technically 3 of them were released as singles. I must have been one of the FEW people to buy the single for Sweetheart because after a day of it's released Sony pulled it. Damn that Mottola! Anyhow, the album went onto sell 5 million copies.

1. Sweetheart w/Jermaine Dupri #53 R&B Airplay #15 Germany
2. When You Believe w/Whitney Houston #15 Pop #33 R&B #4 UK
3. I Still Believe #4 Pop #3 R&B #16 UK

Rainbow came out towards the end of '99 & was also a big seller. It had plenty of songs that were personal & showed major growth. It was kept out of the top spot despite having her best first week sales ever. Faith Hill was huge with Breathe & Rage Against the Machine were, well.... raging at the time. Not my cup of tea so I'm not familiar. The album sold 3 million & this was to be her last for Sony, since she felt she wasn't getting the kind of promotion she had before. In the UK, Against All Odds was released with Westlife (who are in fact HUGE over there). It became her second #1 single there & to date is the last time she's had a #1 single there.

1. Heartbreaker w/Jay-Z #1 Pop/R&B #5 UK
2. Thank God I Found You w/Joe & 98 Degrees #1 Pop/R&B #10 UK
3. Crybaby w/Snoop Dogg/Can't Take That Away #23 R&B/#28 Pop
4. Against All Odds w/Westlife #1 UK

Now we're up to Glitter. Hmmmm, what else can be said about Glitter w/o running it into the ground? Here's some info you may not know. I was in Glitter! They filmed a dance scene at Limelight here in NYC in the summer of 2000. This was my first time seeing her up close & I of course was nervous & shy. At the time, I had no idea it would turn into the bomb that it later became. If you click on the right spot on your dvd you can see a very young me with natural hair color in the middle of the dancefloor doing a handclap. That's right bitches, I got moves you ain't ever seen. I actually liked a lot of the songs on Glitter but I think some of it had too much rap on it. The song Don't Stop is blazing when she sings but, when Mystikal raps I want to rip off my ears. The album sold poorly but still managed to get a million. It was her one album with Virgin & during this time it was highly documented about her crazy antics. It was like everyone had it out for her & was ready to write her off. I saw her outside of the TRL studio's & still have those pics. I still think she just needed some sleep.

1. Loverboy #2 Pop #1 R&B #12 UK
2. Don't Stop w/Mystikal #42 R&B #32 UK
3. Never Too Far/Hero Medley #81 Pop
4. Reflections (Care Enough) released only in Japan through Sony
5. Last Night A DJ Saved My Life w/Busta Rhymes promo video & single in Spain

After all the drama with Virgin & the Glitter debacle, MC went to Island Def/Jam. She also appeared on Busta Rhymes big single I Know What You Want. Charmbracelet was released in 2003 & found Mariah going for more hip hop & gospel songs. Through The Rain is probably one of least favorite MC singles ever & apparently everyone else agreed because it was not a hit. The album sold a little more then Glitter & did manage to reach a peak position of #3.

1. Through The Rain #81 Pop #69 R&B #8 UK
2. Boy (I Need You) w/Cam'ron #68 R&B #17 UK
3. I Know What You Want w/Busta Rhymes #2 R&B #3 Pop/UK
4. Bringin' On The Heartbreak #5 Dance

After this, MC took one of the longest breaks she had ever taken. During the 90's, she either popped out singles or album every single year. So when 'The Return of the Voice' promo's came out me & all the other lambs felt like something major was in store. Boy, were we right. The Emancipation of Mimi came out in April '05 & went onto be the biggest seller of the year. We Belong Together became her first #1 single since '01 & it stayed there for 14 weeks. It was her first album back at the #1 spot since Butterfly & sold 6 million. Single after single was released to all different kinds of markets. It was so big they re-released it with video's & new tracks. The return of the voice was the return to form. Back at #1. I later saw her on tour, a bday gift from Jordan. She did all the hits I loved & then some.

1. It's Like That #16 Pop #17 R&B #4 UK
2. We Belong Together #1 Pop/R&B #2 UK
3. Shake It Off #2 Pop/R&B
4. Get Your Number #9 UK
5. Don't Forget About Us #1 Pop/R&B #11 UK
6. Say Somethin' w/Snoop Dogg #79 Pop #27 UK
7. Fly Like A Bird #19 R&B
8. Mine Again #71 R&B not officially released as a single but charted on its own

Last month E=MC 2 was released & solidified another #1 album, single & she had the best first week sales of her career. For me, this album has all the upbeat songs that were not on the last one. So for me, both albums are like perfect book ends. There's the ballads that are lovely but for me it's all about MC having a little more fun. Which is where I'm at in my life after all the drama & health scares. It's definitely time to get OOC & once again I'm that Chico you like!

1. Touch My Body #1 Pop #2 R&B #5 UK
2. Bye Bye #23 Pop #71 R&B as of now.......but expect that to go up, up & up!
and I've heard the next single will be Love Story. In a perfect world I'm That Chick & I'll Be Loving You Long Time will see commercial releases as well.

No comments: